Monday, April 16, 2012

The Story Behind The Name - It's A Doozy




       So although the name of my blog might seem a little obvious, there is more than meets the eye when it comes to my title. 

       
       Because I’m Allergic To You… the most romantic words ever uttered…

       Here is the story…
   
       Every summer in the neighborhood I grew up in, there would be soccer camps that would be held. These were not just any soccer camps, these were soccer camps that were coached by tall, tan, and fit men from the UK. Their ages ranged from 19 to around 25 and they were the highlight of our summer. After their morning practices of coaching little children (aww so cute!) they would come over to the neighborhood pool my girlfriends and I worked at to sunbathe all day. If I never worked all summer, I worked about everyday those two weeks. (Although later in years I learned the trick to supervise so I did not have to guard the pool and could actually watch them without the pesky watching the pool job getting in the way)

       One summer we met a couple of the guys and  went out dancing with them. There was one I was drawn too. He was about 8 feet tall, tan, beautiful, and British. All the things I need in a man. I thought he was hot, obviously, but I did not think it was mutual. He was being nice to me but nothing overly flirty to send my girlish mind in a flitter. So I moved on, oh well, at least we will look awesome with an entourage of British soccer players at this sweet 18 and over dance club (lol oh gosh, we were so sad) 
        
         After a while my friend needed to leave so I asked him to come with me so I could walk her to her car and not get kidnapped on the walk back. He agreed and we set off. The walk back was nice and we chatted. Once we got back to the club things went back to normal until the largest man I have ever seen in my life walked up behind me and started dancing. Mind you, he was behind me and I still could tell he was part giant. He was at least 10 feet tall and the kind of guy that you would hide next to in case of an earthquake for stability. Oh and I think we was like 45. Probably not but you get the point. My friends giggled and let me suffer paralyzed. I had rarely danced at all let alone at a night club. I went to a weird alternative high school where none of the guys danced with the girls at dances, mostly because there were like three guys at our school and they were either gay or had all the hot girls over them because they were kings with no competition. We choreographed a dance to “Thriller” for my senior prom…
          
       Anyway, I was eventually pulled away and resumed normal dancing although something had changed in my British man. He would lean in to tell me a silly joke or comment each time his hand grazing my lower back to bring me in closer because of the “loud music” until eventually we started dancing. We danced all night long until we decided we needed some air. For some reason we decided to go out dancing one of the five days in Oregon it gets hot. And since it’s Oregon, no one has AC. So we walked around downtown at night and finally settled on a bench in the park. It was romantic and beautiful. The sprinklers were on and street lights were glowing around us. For real ya’ll I was expecting a film crew to jump out that’s how freaking cute it was. What happened next has been burned into my mind forever. He leaned into me and whispered in his sexy British voice something that I could not understand. He leaned in closer and tried to kiss me. I leaned back a little and in my most sexy American accent said what every guy wants to hear, “I can’t” “But why?” in his beautiful English way. I replied, “Because… I’m allergic to you.”       
           
       “Whaa?”
       “Uhhh, yeah. Sorry?” 
       
       I was devastated. It was the saddest moment of my life. That’s not something they teach in health class to be mindful not to kiss people that you don’t what they ate for dinner in case they ate something your allergic to. But have hope girls because I made him dinner the next day and got that kiss if it killed me! Well, I guess the point was that it would not kill me… oh whatever it’s an expression, you know what I mean. Point is I got that kiss from the beautiful British soccer player and I’m still alive today. But even today whenever I have to tell someone I can’t do something I always answer, “Because I’m allergic to you” and smile a little inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment