Monday, April 16, 2012

Here Comes The Sun... For Two Minutes


I woke up today to something very strange. It was the sun. Here in Oregon the sun is a stranger. Our sad pale bodies can only handle so much so when it streamed through my windows this morning I was startled and confused. But then I remembered the long forgotten days of summer where the sun would shine between the clouds for like three whole hours! It was amazing.
           

Unfortunately I will be missing the two weeks of warm weather this year to travel to Italy granted I get enough scholarships and donors. But if I am able to go I will gladly trade in our two weeks of sun for two months of hot. In a recent meeting I was told it would be about 105 degrees there. That reminded me I would need some sunscreen, and a lot of it.

            I realize that most of the world does not live in the sad conditions that the mole people of Oregon live in and most humans see the sun on a regular basis. So in honor of the first time I could actually wear a short sleeve shirt outside and not regret it later this year this blog post is about sunscreen! I know fun right?

            Buying sunscreen seems like a pretty harmless chore right? Wrong! It’s filled with allergens! No just kidding but you do need to still read the labels. The stuff is sitting on your skin for hours so you want to make sure you wont break out. Hives and that tiny bikini you just bought will not go well together.

            Make sure if you are allergic to any chemicals to really look at the packaging. If you don’t know words go ask a pharmacist. I usually buy my sunscreen at Walgreens or Safeway which has a pharmacy in it.            

            I am allergic to nuts so that’s the main thing I look for in sunscreens. They are actually in a lot of screens because of I’m assuming they are soothers? Well not for my angry skin! Anyway, look for different kinds of nuts. A lot of ingredients will use some strange word for nuts and then put the actual name of the nut in parenthesis. (So read what is in parenthesis!)

            As a general rule I always try and buy things with the least amount of ingredients as possible. I assume the less there is the less chance there is something I’m allergic to. And it’s less reading. My thinking is that the more basic sunscreens are less likely to have the filler nuts and dairy stuff in them. But you still need to read them with the same vigor as the others.

            If you don’t know any words on the package look them up on your phone if you have a smart phone. Usually there is a common explanation of what it is, if not, I say skip it. Also check out websites of allergy friendly products. If something says “Hypoallergenic” I would trust it more, but still read! No. Matter. What. READDDDD.

            I prefer the spray kind for my body because it easy and simple but get a lotion for your face. You do not want to irritate your already sensitive skin and eyes with a blast of sunscreen. Also it’s nasty when you taste it.

            Some brands I use are Hawaiian Tropic and Coppertone. Although some of their products do still have nuts in them, you just have to what? Oh you’re learning, yes, read.

            I would say avoid most tanning oils and creams, I have found most tend to have nuts in them but just be aware.

            Lastly maybe it’s my pale Irish skin and a combination of my sensitive skin but I tend to burn very quickly. Use higher SPF than you think you need, 15 sucks. I was a lifeguard at an outdoor pool for 5 years, it sucks. Get the good stuff. Not only is your skin sensitive but also it’s just good practice to be safe.

            So in wrap up, READ READ READ. Be aware that a lot of sunscreens have nuts and also fruit oils so if you are allergic to either really be attentive when reading because they could be using other words for them. If you don’t know what something is ask someone, look it up, or move along. It is just not worth it.

            So if you live in a place with sun go soak it up! If you live here in Oregon, sorry it is going to rain the next couple days…

 H

No comments:

Post a Comment