Monday, April 16, 2012

Get the Disease or Keel Over from the Vaccine?


As some of you know and I have mentioned it a couple times in my blog already, I am trying to study abroad in Italy this summer. I had to go to a travel meeting at the health center to talk about health concerns traveling abroad. We went over immunizations and usually this would be the point in the conversation when the health professional urges me to get as many shots as possible and I clam up saying “well I think I’m allergic to all those but I’m not sure…” and they would push on. My history with doctors has not been completely great in the past. It seemed I always had to do a lot convincing and defending which seemed totally backwards to me. But I will talk in depth in a later post about finding a good doctor. 
         

This visit was very different though. My nurse was very understanding and helpful. She explained in depth what vaccines they had record of, knew that some had egg in them, and reassured and possessed the same concerns I had. For the first time in a while I felt like I had someone in my corner. It was so reassuring and instilled so much confidence to know that someone took me seriously and had original concerns of their own.
         
After our meeting we got to really discussing how I would go about getting these vaccines if possible. I explained to her how my egg allergy is not as bad as it used to be and how I have eaten hard boiled eggs in the past but food with egg in them still give me problems. We discussed how I could probably go through with getting the vaccines but she wanted me to get them done with my own doctor because he knows my background much better and I would feel more comfortable there. I was so delighted that she did not try and push me to get them right then. (I once had an allergist try and get me to try milk at my first meeting with him)
       
Then after our meeting she ended by letting me see a list they keep at the office that showed all the vaccines and the different allergens that are in them. She then took their copies out and photocopied it for me. I was so touched that someone would take that extra time to help me. It really made me feel special and that I did not have to fight for my concerns to be heard.
       
So the reason why this pertains to you all is because I went online and found that list. It is a really great resource to print out and take to your doctor if you need to get your shots. When I was young I had to get my MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella or also called German Measles I wonder why…) but the only shot had eggs in it. At the time as a wee babe I was one giant hive. Seriously if the wind picked up I would puff up like a pool floaty. It was kind of gross. So we had to administer the shot to me in such small doses as to not create a reaction. I had to have the shot 15 times. 15 TIMES. You know how much is in a normal shot? Not a lot. Then divide that by 15! Gah it was nuts. 
       
So take a look that this, bring it into your doctor so you don’t have to be a human pin cushion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment