Monday, April 16, 2012

Happy Easter!


       Holidays for children are normally filled with excitement and anticipation of the candy filled days to come. However for me the sight of candy filled baskets was nothing I was interested in. Chocolate shaped into funny animals wearing candy coated pants did not tickle my fancy. I just opened doors with a little more caution as I spotted chocolate covered fingers. As I went home this weekend for Easter and walked downstairs to see my first Easter basket in years I was pleasantly surprised. I remembered back to my previous Easter baskets. They were bright and colorful and always made me feel special. And then I remembered the go to candy that was given to me by other people. If jelly beans could be used as fuel, I would be set for life.


Please parents out there listen to this: jelly beans are not good. They are okay in moderation but if you give your child five bags of them to make up for all the tasty chocolate bunnies their siblings have there will be trouble. They will feel bad for your attempt and not say anything only grit through sugar sick smiles. They will probably end up in a drawer somewhere under socks and underwear until one day they feel the rock of harden sugar and throw them away. This will only attract ants and sad children, steer clear of both!

Anyways, I remembered back upon my past baskets and have a newfound respect for my mom’s attempts. There was always a variety of candy and usually some kind of toy that was cute and useless but nice nonetheless. While my brothers had a lot of chocolate mine usually had more of the non edible variety which was wonderful since I am really not a candy girl.

But what always made me happy with Easter and every holiday was not trying to replicate my basket and experience candy for candy only allergy friendly version but to make mine, mine. Little touches that don’t try and be “allergy friendly” but just is.

This year I was very happy with my surprise basket and it touched me my mom would go out of her way to still make her 21-year-old a basket. Instead of being filled with junk I would not eat it was filled with things that were fun and that I would use. Some fun gum, only one bag of jelly beans (that said very clearly on the bag they were made in an allergy friendly place), some skittles, a funny squishy ball thing, quarters for laundry (my gold), and a really nice eye pencil I had been pinning over. It wasn’t much in my small basket but it was just perfect for me. I was so pleasantly surprised at the thought and effort that went into each item in my little basket it warmed my heart.



So while holidays usually revolving around candy can be frustrating and annoying just remember candy is not new. We live with food around us that we are allergic to everyday so why should this be any different. Instead of letting it get to you just make your day special in a different way. Treat yourself to that special food you really like or go get a pint of your favorite soy ice cream (mine is mint chocolate chip, oh yummmm). Tonight I’m making tacos, I’m so excited I can’t wait.

Although the typical holiday is centered around candy and food we cannot eat it doesn’t mean yours has to. You’re not typical! And good on ya. So just make your holiday special in your way and have fun. And count down the days until Thanksgiving when you can eat just about everything.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment