Monday, April 16, 2012

Let Them Have Non Refrigerated Snacks!


Long periods away from my house make me nervous. Some people would call this agoraphobia; I would call this liking to eat. When I am away from my home for long periods of time I get hungry as any normal person does but unlike the normal college folk I’m surrounded by on a normal basis I cannot just pop into Starbucks and pick up a tasty treat to tide me over until later. As a general rule of mine I do not eat anything someone else prepares. This is something I have taken upon myself to give me piece of mind and insure my safety. If I know 100% what is in it and how it was prepared than I feel a lot better about eating it.
            

I used to go to work for up to 8 hours at a time and would be granted a lunch break. I usually would not bring a lunch because I could never find a nice balance between taste and ease. I needed something that would not take me forever to make. Also I needed something that would not need to be refrigerated. (I worked with very nosey people and maybe I was just being paranoid but I could just feel them snooping in my food getting their allergen hands all over my food!)
           
Now that I am at school the refrigeration issue has become more prominent. I cannot lug around a mini fridge with me on campus all day so whatever I bring must be happy in my backpack all day. Usually, because I take so long to figure out my class schedule and all the good class spots are already taken, I have huge gaps in my school days that allow me to go home and get something to eat. However this term for a couple of days a week I am on campus straight for around eight hours. Gross.
           
If this problem would have faced me a year ago I probably would have not brought any food, pretended I was not hungry, pine over other peoples food, get tired and cranky, and then rush home and stuff my face. If this sounds like you; this is not healthy!! I have done this for years and trust me it is not good. Take the extra time and plan ahead, you will thank yourself later, trust me. If you don’t know how or the task seems too daunting, don’t worry; I’m going to tell you what to do.
           
First off, get yourself a great lunch box. I have a super cool R2D2 lunch box that I just love to show off. I would always be worried of just throwing food into my bag because what if something pierced the bag or it opened? Then my lunch would be ruined. If you use a lunch box all this will be solved.

I mean just look at this!! How awesome!



Next, think outside the box (but not your lunch box because everything needs to fit!) Think of things that do not need to be kept cold. If that is sandwiches try something without meat. Or you could do pasta without meat. Basically you want to avoid anything with something very perishable in it. For example diary and meat are the first things that come to mind. Luckily for me diary is already out of the question. I usually do a salad. This is simple, easy to make, and can be exciting and tasty if you mix it up. Make some croutons (I’ll post a recipe soon) to put on, add some peas and corn, cut up some veggies or fruit, whatever you want you can mix it up! Put your favorite dressing in a small Tupperware or plastic bag and you are good to go.
           
Snacks! My most favorite thing. Again go for things that do not need to be kept cold right away. Try soy nut butter with cut apples. Make some granola. (I’ll post that recipe soon as well) Grapes are a great snack. (although do not take frozen grapes because they unfreeze and become mushy and leak in your bag…) Think outside the box. You do not need a huge meal here, just something to tide you over until you get back home.
           
Don’t forget to bring utensils! I take a fork or spoon and put it in a plastic Ziploc bag and stick it along. If you are nervous of the metal poking through the plastic you can use plastic utensils that are less likely to poke through.
           
Last but not least, drink lots of water! Bring along a water bottle and drink it! This will keep you hydrated and full throughout the day. This will keep you alert, happy, healthy, and will keep you from stuffing your face when you get home.
           
So in wrap up, plan ahead. Trust me not only will you feel better but also your body will thank you. Take the extra couple of minutes to think about what you will be doing the next day and plan accordingly. Now get out there and make some tasty lunches kids! 

No comments:

Post a Comment